‘Sexing up’ client relationships – 5 top tips
To ensure clients keep coming home to you when competitors wink at them, follow these five proven relationship ‘sex it up’ tips right now.
Relationships get stale. The magic of the early days dwindles. You start taking each other for granted. This is a high danger time and you need to move fast to spice up the relationship.
First, though, remember the Golden Rule of client retention and growth.
It’s All About The Work. Nothing keeps client love alive longer than work that works, delivers results, exceeds expectations. No amount of ‘sexing it up’ compensates for ineffective work.
Here are five proven tips for revving up the relationship:
- Tell them you love them. Find a reason for a special client/agency dinner… an anniversary, a new campaign, a planning session. Keep some mystery around the dinner. Then do it exceptionally well. A special venue. Seating plan. Name tags. Menus printed with client/agency logos. Then unveil a plaque, or a framed piece of work, or a tasteful drawing of the client team. Give each client executive a memento. Make a heart-felt speech. “Thank you for working with us. Thanks for the opportunity. We know you have choices. We know we are not always perfect. But we want you to know we really, really appreciate the opportunity. We value you deeply, and we will work hard to deliver even more going forward. Thank you.” Try it. It works! Warning though it has to be sincere.
- Ask them. “Client – we want to exceed your expectations. What are the three things we could do brilliantly in the next 100 days that would absolutely delight and excite you.” And once they have told you do them!
- Treat them like a new business prospect. Remember how hard you worked when you were wooing them? How you sweated every detail. Analysed the relationship. Strategy sessions on how to get closer, on how to impress, how to add a ‘WOW’ to every meeting. Well- do it again. For 100 days.
- Refresh your team. Familiarity breeds contempt. Change the account team. Add new blood. Sometimes, like ‘Big Brother’, throw an intruder into the house. Inject a high impact player to the team for six weeks, just to spice it up.
- Give great meetings. Meetings are a critical ‘moment of truth’ where clients get a deep impression of our value and effectiveness. Make them great! Have an agenda, clarify outcomes, start on time, keep it moving, add humour, have fresh insights or ideas to surprise them with, finish on time. Hold meetings in unusual places. Their competitor’s store. The zoo. At the arts museum. At places or relevance, learning, inspiration. Get them talking about you positively.
In a later blog, five more great tips. Meanwhile, have you any to share?