The Secret To A Happier and More Successful Life- And It Is Very Simple

I don’t have many regrets. Not having traveled as a young man. Not going to a co-educational school. I regret not visiting my old Uncle Ernie in Sussex when I instead flew home to chase a Burlesque dancer. But most of all, I regret not having heard this advice 20 years ago. Here it is.

In my early adult days, success to me was all about girls, making money, sports cars, getting ‘power’, accumulating stuff. I struggled to ever be happy, always wanting more- the next big thing- striving for something just beyond my reach.  In recent years, my friend Richard Sauerman’s writings about success have moved me.  I have started to view success in a very different way.

And I was fortunate to receive a powerful new guiding message when listening to the keynote speaker at a conference I was speaking at a few months ago. Here is what that major business icon said:

The most important things in life can’t be measured and can’t be bought.

Think about it. No, no, no. I mean- STOP…PAUSE…SERIOUSLY REFLECT UPON THAT. And think about whether your priorities match that sentiment. Do they? Honestly?

I continue to spend a lot of time thinking about what success means to me. But my assessment has evolved. Now, it’s all about my family and its security and well being. My fathering. A solid and happy marriage. Loving relationships. Making a difference. Realising my potential. Continuing to learn and grow. And being able to increasingly self-determine what I spend my time on. That’s what comes to mind as I write this.

Making A Start On A More Successful Life: Two Key Steps

Doug Smollan recommends ‘True Success’, a book by Tom Morris. In it, Morris talks about the ‘Seven Conditions of Success.’ The first talks about needing a clear conception of what we want, a vivid vision, a goal or set of goals powerfully imagined.

Start by examining your life. As Socrates said: ”The unexamined life is not worth living.” Then again, I am a great believer that: “The unlived life is not worth examining!”

1. Write down all the things you don’t like about your life right now (things to change)
  2. Write down all the things you do like about your life right now (things to preserve)

Then start eradicating (where feasible) the stuff you don’t like.

And always remember those very, very insightful words, before it’s too late: “The most important things in life can’t be measured and can’t be bought.”

Tell me please – what are the most important things in your life? And are you giving them the priority and focus they deserve?  And if not, then what are you going to do about it?

Subscribe to Wrestling Possums and connect with me via Social Media.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to The Secret To A Happier and More Successful Life- And It Is Very Simple

1. Neil Bolton October 31, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Tell us about the burlesque dancer.

• Chris Savage November 1, 2012 at 9:51 am #

A story for another day!

2. Mel W October 31, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

“The most important things in life can’t be measured and can’t be bought.” I couldn’t agree more. Since going on maternity leave this year, I have taken stock away from the craziness of the corporate world and made the (very scary) decision to formally resign and be a fulltime mum for a while. As a 30-year-old with a whole career ahead of me, there was alot to think about before making this decision. However, I figured a couple of years out of the workforce is a blip in the bigger scheme of things and I’m extremely thankful I’m in a position to be able to make this investment in my children’s future.

• Chris Savage November 1, 2012 at 9:52 am #

Well done Mel!!!!

3. Kim October 31, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Very insightful. I plan on focusing on this point – “The most important things in life can’t be measured and can’t be bought” for the next month and seeing how it changes my actions and expectations. I’d like to hope that my list of wants and desires shifts from physical assets, to emotional connections and benefits. Thanks Chris and to that Keynote speaker.

• Chris Savage November 1, 2012 at 9:52 am #

Good luck Kim

4. Carl October 31, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

My Kids. And yes, I think I am.

• Chris Savage November 1, 2012 at 9:52 am #

You are fortunate Carl.

5. Aleisha November 1, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Obviously the most important things in the world to me are my children. I can’t imagine life without them and I hate thinking of their lives going on without me. Am I giving them the attention they deserve? I have a university degree in Communications which I had never used until recently, as I fell pregnant with my first child straight after I finished university. Despite already having a Public Relations job lined up I decided the best course was to stay home and be there for my child and let my husband embark on his new career as a Landscaper. At the time all I wanted was to be working in the industry making something of myself, becoming someone and I wished away the time I had with my kids at home as I felt “unimportant”. Now I am working three days a week as a Communications/Marketing Officer and all I wish for is to be home full time with my three children. I was SO important then, I wasn’t sending them off to school early so I can be on time for work, I wasn’t rushing home to get them food before they rush off to activities, and this idea I had of what successful meant was completely wrong!
    It’s funny how our priorities can change on a dime. I enjoy my job but the grass is not always greener on the other side.

• Chris Savage November 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Thanks for sharing Aleisha. Appreciated. Chris

6. Adrianne November 3, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

So true Chris. I also love Richard’s updates and he was always pretty inspirational when we worked together too.

Interestingly, I went to the STW Women in Leadership lunch a week ago and there was a video address from Shelley Lazarus. She talked a bit about this very subject from a ‘women doing it all’ pov. But I don’t think it’s limited to women by any means.

She inspired my own latest blog post …

We were obviously on the same wavelength this week!

• Chris Savage November 5, 2012 at 10:29 am #