A Word About Making 2016 Brilliant For Your Career

BREATHE.Want to know the one word or phrase that will make sure your 2016 is absolutely brilliant? Read on and be inspired!

I love the new year opportunity to make a list of resolutions. It energises me. Within a few short weeks I am depleted. It’s rare I ever hit those resolutions. I am surrounded by stalled goals and then slip into a pattern of new promises to myself. Not this year.

You see, I received a priceless gift just before Christmas. And I am going to share it with you. Here’s the key, then the background:

What is the word that describes the most urgent, important, valuable behaviour or change you can make in 2016?

This change – if achieved- must improve your happiness. It could even help you achieve career goals?

The concept evolves from the world of mindfulness. Let’s use it to turbo-charge our careers in 2016. It will take you five minutes to get the compass point to the value.

Watch the 5 minute video (link below). Kamal Sharma sent it to me. It’s the gift I received. Kamal encourages us to ditch resolutions in 2016. Rather, get focussed on one word that, if we can bring that one word to life in 2016, will make the most powerful difference to our lives.

Now- it does not have to be ONE word. Here are some examples:

* Relationships
* Learn new stuff
* Accountability
* Attention to detail
* Networks
* Social media presence
* Push myself to the front
* Go the extra step
* Pick up phone every day
* Manage emotions
* Time out
* Praise

Rather than have a series of goals, pick one behaviour or outcome you really, really want to achieve this year. Visualise it. ‘Brand’ it on your brain. Put reminders of that word around your workspace, on the shower wall, on the car dashboard. Keep reminding yourself of that one word/phrase. Make it a habit. Habits lead to persistence. Persistence leads to results.

Start by watching Kamal’s video- here’s the link.

Oh- and what’s my word for 2016?  BREATHE. It’s a simple as that. I have to de-stress and give myself some self-love. If I can do that, I’ll lift in everything I do. Good luck, and have a great 2016!

, , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to A Word About Making 2016 Brilliant For Your Career

1. Paul Alexander February 17, 2016 at 10:17 am #

words are neurological events and that’s a powerful one – cheers Chris and best wishes for this year

• Chris Savage February 17, 2016 at 12:39 pm #

Thanks Paul!

2. Shayne Priddle February 17, 2016 at 11:08 am #

Fantastic thought Chris. It’s so easy to get bogged down with multiple goals and resolutions. Some aspects of goals are out of our control, but we can focus on changing a behaviour. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Chris Savage February 17, 2016 at 12:39 pm #

Pleasure Shayne. Hope you are well. Chris

3. Jenet Depke February 17, 2016 at 11:46 am #

Good morning Chris

Hope you are in fine spirits.

Thanks and gratitude for sharing your inspirational and motivating wisdom for the journey in 2016. I have confidence that everyone who reads your newsletters and blogs will be delighted with this particular one. It will help us all to be able to have a much more enlightening and successful journey, live the life we were meant to without the additional stress we create by placing significant emphasis on un-realistic goals and new resolutions we think are so important.

I could not agree with you more that being happy and giving ourselves a lot of self love is the food for our soul and spirit which has a flow on affect to all areas of our life. Without a doubt feeling special and content will definitely be key to turbo charging whatever we are seeking to achieve;r in business or anyone with their careers goals.

Thanks for sharing Kamal Sharma gift.

May you achieve more than you have aspired to achieve in 2016, that your cup is always overflowing, and happiness and joy follows your path daily.

Have a blessed day.

Warmest Wishes:)

JENET DEPKE

• Chris Savage February 17, 2016 at 12:38 pm #

Thanks Jenet!!

4. Paulette Steele February 17, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

I like this idea a lot. As you say it’s much easier than setting new year resolutions which I never have anyway. Why should the beginning of a year make such a difference to what you do? It should be ongoing.

• Chris Savage February 17, 2016 at 12:38 pm #

Appreciated, Paulette

5. Clare Robinson February 17, 2016 at 7:07 pm #

Music to my ears, lovely, simple post Chris – ‘breath’, I think this was my word for last year to just ‘breath and become more mindful’ of everything I was creating – the good and the bad. The word for me in 2016 is ‘blooming’ and I’m asking myself in my decision making process around daily interactions and goals ‘will it help me to bloom?’ Look forward to seeing you soon for a debrief on those words! Clare

• Chris Savage February 18, 2016 at 2:56 pm #

Thanks Clare!

6. John February 18, 2016 at 6:30 am #

Chris, keep sharing. Thanks for this.

• Chris Savage February 18, 2016 at 2:57 pm #

Thanks John. Chris

7. Sharlene Zeederberg February 20, 2016 at 12:21 pm #

What a fabulous way to think about goals. Just thinking about the words I could choose (and the fact that I have at least 7 to think through indicates how complicated my goal setting has become!) is energising. I can already see how liberating this approach will be. Thanks for sharing!

• Chris Savage March 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #

Thanks Sharlene!!

8. Corina April 14, 2016 at 8:43 am #

Another great post Chris and timely reminder. The theme of focus is running through your posts – and I love it. Breathe – a brilliant word, this year though my focus is ACTION. Less talking, more doing. Pleased to say – 4 months into the year, and I’ve stuck with it so far.

• Chris Savage April 18, 2016 at 2:15 pm #