A Cool Cat’s Diet For A Better Future

laura-holding-bookI don’t like cats. They make me sneeze. But this cat took me by the hand and led me to optimism and hope. No kidding. Here’s what happened.

Well, it was not The Cat In The Hat himself. But his author, Dr Seuss. I was feeling very flat. A series of setbacks. Nothing major. Just turbulence eroding confidence and hope. I took time out. Went into a bookshop. There I picked up a Dr Seuss book of quotes to help young adults handle the speed bumps of life. Two very simple quotes got me (a somewhat older adult) back on track. Here they are:

Embrace Your Strengths

Shout loud, “I am lucky to be what I am!
Thank goodness I’m not just a clam or a ham
Or a dusty old jar of sour gooseberry jam!
I am what I am! That’s a great thing to be!”
Happy Birthday To You!

Oh, and then this one.

Be Proud of Who You Are

Of all
the shapes
we MIGHT have been…
I say, “HOORAY
for the shapes we’re in!”
The Shape of Me and Other Stuff.

I tell you about these quotes for two reasons.

First, because they lifted my spirits and reminded me that I am a good person with many strengths. Not perfect. Lots of rough edges, weaknesses, many things to improve on. But at my core- I’m okay. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves of this. We have to be our own best coaches, right!

Secondly, because I wanted to relevantly segue to this story- about another children’s book that deserves our full support.

One of the speed bumps that has pulled my spirits down is my regression once again with my efforts to eat better, and to tackle my obesity. I was doing so well- then fell off the wagon as and am almost back to square one, again. Bloody hell. This is hard.

That’s why this book is so important. Read on. And please- support!

What’s the story about?
Sydney family creative trio, Alex, Laura and three year old daughter Olivia Weetch have written a children’s book called Eggbert Egg Fulfils his Destiny. It’s an exciting tale of one special egg’s pursuit of happiness. We follow Eggbert, from farm to plate, on a journey filled with fun and adventure, learning about where food comes from and why healthy eating is so important.

Why support it?
It aims to help change children’s relationship with healthy food from an earlier age.

Alex and Laura are donating books to children in need all over the world through their partnership with the World Literacy Foundation who help lift children out of poverty through literacy.

They’ve spent 3 years writing, illustrating and perfecting it using Olivia’s growing imagination as their guide. It’s like the film Boyhood but an Egg instead of an Ethan.

Here’s the link to the Kickstarter Launch Film.

Please support a local family working 24/7 to make this dream a reality.

, , , , , , ,

10 Responses to A Cool Cat’s Diet For A Better Future

1. Grant Butler November 9, 2016 at 10:05 am #

Thanks Chris. I’ve always liked the Seussism ‘The more that you read, the more things that you’ll know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.’ And you shouldn’t lack confidence. You’re an inspiration to us all!

• Chris Savage November 10, 2016 at 1:04 pm #

Thanks Grant!!

2. Jenet Depke November 9, 2016 at 11:56 am #

Hi Chris

Hope you are in fine spirits.

It always makes my day reading your newsletter which is always increadibly inspiring, your honesty about your own weaknesses and setbacks is admirable and commendable. Thanks and gratitude once again for sharing such wonderful advices. It is true to say regardless of the trials and tribulations in life, when we can acknowledge to ourselves that we are a good human being overall, and on top of that know that because of our great qualities, we make a difference to other peoples lives on the planet or to our clients business, then we should be proud of who we are and not focus on our weaknesses. When I ask candidates what areas would you like to improve on and develop further, once I know this detail I then coach and mentor them accordingly which they appreciate and highly value. Always inspiring them to reach their goals and dreams. Especially, when I recognize their excellent personal qualities. After all no human being is without weaknesses.

And for every setback and disappointment you may have had recently may there be an abundance of new exciting, high paying opportunities in the pipeline. You deserve to succeed with your new dreams and goals at the speed of a concord jet. After all you have and continue to support so many people in their journey which is priceless and so much appreciated.

I look forward to reading about your magnificent new achievements soon.

Have a splendid day.

Warmest Wishes

JENET DEPKE

3. Peter Giles November 9, 2016 at 1:18 pm #

Many thanks Chris, perfect timing for yor post. I just walked into work yesterday after leave to be made redundant (with a number others) Today is first day at home pondering to get next job by Christmas! Yes we have to be our own best coaches
    PS am enjoying your book..

• Chris Savage November 10, 2016 at 1:05 pm #

Thanks Peter- sorry to hear your news. Good things will come your way! Chris

4. Ms Feline Anonnimmie November 9, 2016 at 6:32 pm #

My cat, shat on my mat. But I’m ok. About that.

• Chris Savage November 10, 2016 at 1:06 pm #

Tut tut. Feline- puuuuuurfect. I approve this comment only because the world went mad last night with President Trump so why not!

5. Clare Robinson November 10, 2016 at 7:04 pm #

At your core you are more thank ‘OK’ mr savage! I think the ‘doing your own thing thing’ can be full of ups and downs but what is so brilliant is that you feel them all. No emotions bared, no putting on a brave face this is the journey you have chosen to help others and go the road less travelled to feel all things vs suppress them and become devoid of life. Waffelling a bit now but chin up, you are loved, keep telling us all on the same path what’s going on so we can all support each other…look forward to seeing you soon, Clare

6. Jenny Robinsom August 20, 2017 at 3:18 pm #

I enjoy your blogs. My favourite Dr Seuss Quote was told to me by my18 year old son a number of years ago, when I was chiding him about some personal choices: “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.!” He put me in my box!

• Chris Savage August 20, 2017 at 4:30 pm #