Possums Special Edition: Comment On The Big News From America

cohenThis Trumps Every Other Motivational Idea

Were you as shattered this week as I was with the worst news we could possibly have received from the USA? Fear not! Here’s a message of hope that trumps everything else.

What terrible news! So sad. Inevitable, yet it has left me with shoulders slumped, optimism a little squashed, and a touch of fear and extra loneliness in my heart. No. Nothing to do with Donald Trump. Everything to do with the passing at age 82 of my mentor and guide, Canadian musician and poet Leonard Cohen.

Cohen made me feel it was okay to feel the way I feel. Does that make sense to you? It does to me. You see, Leonard Cohen was one of those rare people in my life. They deliver powerful juice that fuels optimism and hope. Here it is.

They energise.

Not everyone. Just those they connect with. The kindred spirits.

Leonard and I were kindred spirits.

I don’t know how he knew my deepest secrets… my secret life. Or how he could touch the very dark voices that pulled me down, and quieten them. Or how he managed to sooth my brow when the pressures of life furrowed my very being. He just could. He did. He gave me comfort. Hope. Resilience. Strength.

Sure- many of his songs were dark. But not to me. They were golden. Light. Rocket fuel.

My closest friend introduced me to his music and story a brief eight years ago. I managed three concerts…including front row in Paris in 2012. We journeyed as a family to the Greek island of Hydra. More than once. To suck in the air and light that energised him for a decade there in the 1960s. Took photos of his house. Almost bought next door. In fact Hydra is the village painted so beautifully on my company logo.

Here’s the message.

Find people who energise you. Those very rare few who are your kindred spirits. Find them in artists like Leonard Cohen. And most importantly, find them in the people in your life.

Here’s the thing.

I bet there are not many of them.

And I bet you don’t see them very often.

Make a deal with yourself now. Please.

Schedule in more time with the energisers.

I did with mine. Every morning. During my 20 minute drive. Thank you Leonard.

You drove my children crazy, but they all shed a very big tear for you today when they heard of your passing. And they gave me a hug. They knew my heart and soul were a little heavier.

And always will be. Vale Leonard Cohen.

, , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Possums Special Edition: Comment On The Big News From America

1. Ben November 12, 2016 at 12:28 pm #

I heard you talk about your love of Leonard Cohen in a keynote at a RSCA conference 5 years ago. I bought a few records (favourite is ‘Songs from a Room) and now listen to Leonard much more than any other musician. I celebrated Leonard last night with way too much wine and hours of his music.
    Thank you so much for introducing me to Leonard – I also feel connected to his unique and thoughtful commentary – and love the composition of the tracks and poetic rhythm!
    Ben

• Chris Savage November 14, 2016 at 10:05 am #

Ben- delighted to hear that! Thanks for sharing. Chris

2. alex france November 12, 2016 at 1:36 pm #

Nicely put. After the high profile passing of Bowie and Prince, Leonard Cohen’s death generated little mainstream interest. Yet he was the greater artist, the one better able to penetrate the depths of the human condition. Ave atque vale, indeed.

• Chris Savage November 14, 2016 at 10:05 am #

Thanks Alex!

3. Rob Irving November 12, 2016 at 11:08 pm #

So moving, powerful, beautiful, deep touching, Chris. Alleluia!

• Chris Savage November 14, 2016 at 10:06 am #

Thanks Rob! Hope all is good with you. Chris

4. Rob Irving November 12, 2016 at 11:11 pm #

So moving, powerful, beautiful, deep touching, Chris. Alleluia!
    Rob

5. Tracy November 13, 2016 at 8:41 am #

Yes. For me this article was perfect and timely in this crazy trumped up time of fear and panic. These are the things that are real, the things that truly speak to us and touch our lives. The little and frequent special moments that have shed light on us or provided meaning to our purpose. Who knows what impact trump will have on our world. But I surely know this. We have the same opportunity to make our own world great. Standing on the doorstep of opportunity feels like first waking on Christmas morning. Fear, excitement, nervousness, ecstatic. Connecting with those that help you steer the emotions to a place of worthiness will ensure your success and keep you on the straight and narrow. Never lose sight of your goals and your vision. Was trump lucky? Or calculated and clever? He had a dream and he realised it. We can too.

• Chris Savage November 14, 2016 at 10:06 am #

Thanks Tracy. True!!

• Margaret November 14, 2016 at 11:06 pm #

What a great way of putting it! I love that thought! As a Canadian it’s been a very sad week in the news (especially when our poet laureate died too) since we’re so connected to the US but you reminded me that we can still make our own world great; We can still stand up for the environment and the marginalized our own ways. Thanks for phrasing it so well?

• Chris Savage November 15, 2016 at 10:57 am #

Margaret- always great to hear from you. Hope all is going well for you in your now not-so-new career in Canada. Let’s toast Leonard together! Chris

6. Nodi Ipp November 15, 2016 at 12:21 am #

“Who ‘gets you?’ Who wants to hear what you have to say, and is genuinely interested in you? Who has empathy with how you feel, your fears, trepidations, hesitations, darkness? Who puts an arm around you and literally lifts your spirits – lifts your head and puts energy in your heart and step?” your words are like a Leonard Cohen song Chris,beautiful. Kindred Spirits – ‘who by fire, forget the perfect offering, the bird on a wire’ has flown …. leaving me (and you) to step into our truth and live it voraciously, but gently too.

• Chris Savage November 15, 2016 at 10:57 am #

Thanks Nodi- appreciated!! Chris

7. Eda December 24, 2016 at 9:04 pm #

Beautiful, thank you for sharing Chris… Bowie was my guiding star as I’ve always felt an alien and he made it ‘in’ to be ‘out”… 2016 sure took away from us and eagerly awaiting what 2017 will bring

• Chris Savage January 9, 2017 at 1:59 pm #